Saturday 23 January 2016

Zig Zag Card

Happy New Year!  Yes, I know it's a bit late, but I'm taking things slowly these days.  This month, over at Power Poppy, Tosha challenges us to stretch ourselves - i.e. to make a tall card using a new product/technique. Well  my DD gave me five (Yes, FIVE - lucky me!) Power Poppy stamp sets for Christmas  so this is the first time I have used this gorgeous image from the Orchids Rock set.  For my tall card base, I decided to make a zig zag card (also a first for this technique) so I cut a diagonal piece from an A4 sheet of pear pizzazz cardstock, scored and folded at even intervals and punched the top edge with an EK scroll punch. Then I covered one side and the middle third of the other side with paper from an old Clover 12 x 12 paper pack called Cherished Days. I die cut peach cardstock with a butterfly die, sponged orange ink around the edges, coloured the antennae and added black pearls for the tallest part of the card.  Then I die cut yellow cardstock with Spellbinders Blooms One dies, added a dark green flourish and a couple of pale green pieces punched with Martha Stewart's branch punch for the middle part.  Finally I stamped the image with memento ink onto blending card, coloured it with copics and die cut it with a Spellbinders Labels Seventeen.  After sponging the edges with some yellow ink,  I layered that onto peach cardstock and added the sentiment (from Power Poppy's Go Wild set) with a couple more of the punched branches.  Thanks for the fun challenge, Tosha - I enjoyed this one and it will be a very different birthday card for my friend, Midge.

Copic Colours used were:  YG11, YG13, YG17, Y11, YR12, YR20.

Thanks for visiting my blog!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my Helen! Your orchids are gorgeous!! And I love your zig zag layout with your beautiful borders and charming embellishments! What a sweet daughter to treat you to so much Power Poppy goodness!! So glad you joined our Power Poppy Power and Spark challenge this month! This is a real beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's a lot of gorgeous on one card, Helen! Love how you used the zigzag design to make a tall card. Beautiful coloring. Gosh, Kathy spoiled you, didn't she? Well, you deserve it! So good to see this in our Stretch Yourself Challenge this month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card is gorgeous. I've been wanting to try this fold and you may have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely way to stretch yourself in this z fold style! I’m so glad you are enjoying all those new sets. I know you’ll do beautiful things with them Helen! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Power Poppy this month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Helen, I was just thinking about you and missing you and your beautiful work. So I decided to visit, and voila! A beautiful card! I'm late for the party, but I love your beautiful card design and gorgeous orchids! What a lovely Christmas gift from your daughter - she clearly knows what you love! Warm hugs, sweet friend, it's so nice to see you making cards again!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment on my blog, I love hearing from you!